Optomed / EYEQ Hospitals Pilot
January - August 2017
Optomed Oy has created a portable cloud-based retinal camera. In this pilot, retinal surgeons and senior optometrists at EyeQ’s super specialty eye hospitals compared the analysis of angiography images from Optomed Oy’s low-cost, portable Smartscope FFA camera with images from conventional FFA cameras in order to improve access to quality eye healthcare in rural India.
The pilot was conducted in four EyeQ Super Speciality Eye Hospitals
- EyeQ Hospital DLF Sector 27, Gurgaon
- EyeQ Hospital Shalimar Bagh, New Delhi
- Sheetla Eye Hospital, New Railway Road, Gurgaon
- Approximately 400 retinal images were scanned across all four Eye Q Specialty Hospitals using the Smartscope Pro.
- 40+ patients were screened using Smartscope Fundus Fluorescein Angiography (FFA).
- Pilot results showed Smartscope had a higher rate of retinal disease detection compared to a conventional exam.
- Overall, it was found that Optomed Smartscope FFA camera performed very well for objective parameters that were critical for clinical decision making. It was concluded that this camera is a promising low cost alternative to gold standard, high cost cameras.
- Smartscope was given an overall user rating of excellent.
- Moving forward, the Optomed team would like to study the inancial implications of the solution based on agreed upon metrics.
- Product optimizations have been made to ensure the camera’s battery life is sustainable for a longer period of time.
What partners say?
"TechEmerge is the best program. The team is excellent, the whole process has been taken very well. Choosing the technologies from various fields - worked very well. The matchmaking really helped us to meet a very good client base in India. The whole monthly reporting and support from the team is what I personally liked. We have benefited in many ways. We happen to have met a very good client base in India. We established very good relationships and futuristic goals with EyeQ Hospital. We have seen a brand value gain because of the pilot with an esteemed institution."