TechEmerge Sustainable Cooling Temperature-Controlled Logistics India
In partnership with:
Temperature-controlled logistics (TCL) is vital to safely deliver fresh produce to markets, and to prevent life-saving vaccines and other pharmaceuticals from spoiling. In India, TechEmerge is accelerating the adoption of cutting-edge cooling innovations from across the world that improve TCL efficiency and affordability, while minimizing greenhouse gas emissions.
Conducted in partnership with one of India’s largest cold chain logistics providers, Snowman Logistics, this initiative is building commercial relationships and piloting sustainable TCL technologies, services, and business models on the ground in one of the world’s fastest-growing cooling markets.
Estimated value of food wasted globally each year
Commercial & domestic demand for refrigeration is expected to quadruple in India over the next 20 years
Energy required to keep produce fresh at warehouses could increase almost fifty-fold by 2038
Inefficiencies in TCL pose serious development challenges, contributing, for example, to the waste of one third of all food produced globally. These losses amount to 1.2 trillion annually, driving up costs for consumers, producers, and businesses.
We need more reliable, affordable TCL, but at the same time, cooling already accounts for 15 percent of energy used worldwide and produces 10 percent of greenhouse gases, so solutions must be climate-smart too.
India has one of the world’s fastest-growing cooling markets, and companies like Snowman are keen to adopt affordable, efficient, sustainable TCL innovations. Over roughly the next 20 years, commercial and domestic demand for refrigeration is expected to quadruple in India to 2,400,000 TR, according to the India Cooling Action Plan (ICAP).
ICAP also forecasts that energy required to keep produce fresh at warehouses will increase almost fifty-fold from 22,000 MWh to 5.2 TWh, while the number of temperature-controlled reefer trucks will grow from approximated 15,000 in 2018 to 400,000 in 2038.
This initiative offers competitively selected innovators worldwide a total pool of up to US$500,000 in grant funding to implement pilots in partnership with Snowman, one India’s leading TCL companies. The TechEmerge team also provides support throughout field testing to help innovators mitigate financial and operational risks, reduce adoption risks for local firms like Snowman, and facilitate market-entry and tech transfer.
What types of solutions are we looking for?
Innovative, climate-smart, and cost-effective innovations that improve operational efficiency in temperature-controlled logistics from source to final delivery point. This includes, but is not limited to, space cooling, transport, and IoT-enabled asset management, such as:
|Refrigerated warehousing and applications for packaging and sorting.|
|Renewable/low energy/hybrid cooling technologies for inter-city reefer transportation.|
|Last-mile refrigerated supply chain solutions for short-term transit.|
|Innovative cooling solutions for pharma transport.|
|IoT/AI-based asset management solutions to optimize equipment efficiency and maintain cold chain fidelity.|
Benefits for participants
- Access a total pool of up to USD 500,000 in grant funding to support pilot projects on the ground in India.
- Partner with an industry-leading temperature-controlled logistics (TCL) provider committed to sustainability, with the potential for successful pilots to lead to commercial partnerships.
- Receive guidance from TechEmerge and our global network of expert industry advisors to develop pilot implementation and market entry strategies.
- Potential IFC investment for successful innovators with scalable solutions.
- This call for innovation is open to entrepreneurs, startups, and micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSMEs). Women entrepreneurs and women-led companies are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Innovators must be privately-owned companies, typically with less than 50 employees and less than US$100M in venture capital funding (with some exceptions).
- Innovations must respond to the cooling needs and challenges of Snowman Logistics.
- Solutions should be clean, sustainable, resource-efficient, demonstrate strong value for money, and have the potential to scale.
- Innovators must allocate time and resources to participate in the program’s virtual meetings and matchmaking events, and implement pilot projects on the ground.
- Priority will be given to proven solutions/innovations that have been installed in at least one commercial setting, but innovations at the product development stage will also be considered.
TechEmerge is supported by a network of advisors with vast experience in growing sustainable cooling technology innovation across the world.
Senior Director of International Projects
Economist and Project Manager
Sr. Management Consultant, Cold Chain Logistics
Managing Director at GBCI India
Principal Industry Specialist at IFC
Prof. Radhey S. Agarwal
Technical Advisor to Ozone Cell India
Co-founder & Associate at Effinart
Senior Director of the Sustainable Habitat Program at TERI
Rajesh Kumar Miglani
Senior Climate Business Specialist at IFC
Milind Vishwanath Rane
Professor at Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
Snowman Logistics is one of India’s largest integrated temperature-controlled logistics service providers, specializing in warehousing, distribution, and other value-add services.